Tuesday 23 June 2009

Working with Sterling Silver & Cold Enamels

Over the last few weeks I've been busy practising my soldering skills using sterling silver sheet & metal. I finished making several sterling silver bangles which I sent off to be hallmarked at an assay office. I was so excited to get my jewellery pieces back officially hallmarked. I'm now working on my next set of bangles and rings which I will also send away to be hallmarked.

To add a little colour to my jewellery, I've wanted to try enamelling for ages, but I've read it's a little tricky, so I opted for a cold enamel kit which I've been testing out. I've had great fun with my cold enamels, and my soldering technique is also coming along.

I've only had 1 small accident while sawing some sterling silver sheet, when I left my hand in front of the saw and ended going through my finger. Ouch!! It wasn't too bad, but bad enough to learn to keep my fngers out of the way!!

I finished this ring a while ago also using sterling silver sheet for the heart and rectangle silver wire for the ring shank. This was my first ring using the cold emamels.


I've been a little side-tracked working with silver lately, although over the last few days I have been back on the case with my dichroic glass jewellery pieces. My next big craft fair is in September at Central Milton Keynes Shopping Centre, so I really want to try and make as much as possible to take with me. My jewellery items are currently for sale in my ebay shop, so please come by and take a look.













Check out Chloe's Designs Online Ebay Shop




No comments: